Greenroads Foundation is growing and we welcome applications for up to eight (8) open seats on its all-volunteer Board of Directors.
We especially want to hear from you if you have the following affiliations or skills:
- Heavy/civil construction contractor
- Construction materials/products suppliers, manufacturers and producers
- Marketing, business development, public relations or other outreach and communications experience
- Human resources and volunteer management
- Government agency (any level) including DOT, public works, environmental
If you know someone who matches any of the above profiles please feel free to send them a link to this application or nominate them yourself by filling it out on their behalf.
We do not have any geographic restrictions on applicants. If you want to help and feel you are a good candidate, please do apply.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years practical experience
- Leadership experience
- Willingness to learn
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Fundraising and/or philanthropy experience
- Prior volunteer and/or community advocacy experience
- Outstanding communications skills in writing and on the phone
Other desirable skills and qualifications (not required) include:
- Executive leadership experience
- Team management
- An advanced degree in sustainable transportation
- Greenroads Project experience
- JD, PMP, CESCL
ABOUT THE BOARD
The Greenroads Board of Directors supports the mission and vision of Greenroads International and provides strategic leadership, governance and oversight, and advocacy and outreach for all supporting programs and products of Greenroads. While day-to-day operations are led by Greenroads' chief executive officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
The Greenroads Board is comprised of up to 27 Directors. The Board is a reflection of Greenroads' diverse membership composition, consisting of an integrated and cross-cutting profile of private industry, government and non-profit organizations internationally.
Term of Service
Board Members serve 3 year terms, and may extend her/his term one time for up to 6 years.
All Directors are required to serve on at least one standing Committee.
- Planning & Governance (PG). Responsible for the health and effective functioning of the board and its people. Recruits new members and staff, conducts orientation, produces board plans and records, evaluates the performance of the board itself, manages organizational performance including staff and leadership development.
- Administration & Finance (FA). Responsible for all internal issues including those related to finance, compensation and compliance, legal issues, and facilities.
- Advocacy & Outreach (AO). Responsible for all external issues including fundraising, public relations, partnerships, advocacy, and other marketing and outreach activities.
About Greenroads Foundation
Greenroads Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that advances sustainability education and initiatives for transportation infrastructure. As the developer of the Greenroads Rating System, the Foundation also manages the third-party certification process under the Greenroads® Rating System, the gold standard for recognizing sustainable transportation projects in the U.S. and internationally.
The current members of the Board and their bios are available here: www.greenroads.org/board and you can read more about our mission, vision, values and current strategic direction here.
REQUIREMENTS - What You Could Be Getting Yourself Into
As a member of the Board of Directors, you are expected to perform in good faith and act in the best interest of the organization at all times.
The board as a body is the legally responsible governing entity for the health and performance of Greenroads Foundation. Board members as individuals are trusted advisors, ambassadors, and cheerleaders. The Board sets strategic direction, makes plans, writes policies and establishes controls, enforces and monitors rules, ensures adequate resources, and oversees the business of the organization.
You can read a list of example Board Duties here.
BENEFITS - What's In It For Me?
A Board position at Greenroads International is a unique opportunity that will allow you to gain hands‐on experience behind the scenes at Greenroads. Our members, volunteers and project teams, represent a diverse variety of roles (design, construction, planning, and operations for private and public sectors) in the transportation market around the world. In your term, you will:
- Gain or hone leadership skills and experience
- Be recognized as a leader of the organization fundamentally changing the way the world builds transportation projects.
- Represent your organization to stay in tune with the cutting edge market of green transportation
- Learn and practice new concepts in sustainable transportation and non-profit governance
- Connect with like-minded and skilled individuals in your field or even in other sectors
- Take on additional leadership duties such as a Board Officer or Chair.
- What is the time commitment required? Board meetings - you can expect 2-3 hours per quarter for meeting attendance plus prep time. Committees meet monthly for about an hour and may require outside tasks as assigned. Chair positions will include more time outside of meetings to work more closely with staff or other chairs.
- When does the position start? You will be onboarded in Q1 to prepare you to attend our April 2018 Annual Meeting.
- Is the board paid? No. This is a volunteer role.
- Ugh, do I have to learn stuff? Yes. This is a learning organization. If you don't like to learn, this is probably not a good fit for you.
- Ugh, do I need to read stuff? Yes. Probably a lot admittedly. This application is just the beginning.
- Ugh, do I need to read a balance sheet and PnL? Yes, we'll show you how though.
- Ugh, do I need to fundraise? Yes, and there are many ways to participate in fundraising - which means securing resources for the organization, partnerships, and program support. We are not dependent on donations though they are helpful and kind and we do not pursue grants.
- Will this be awesome? Yes! Because we are changing the world one mile at a time, and we want you on our team because you are awesome!